Join Our Foster Roster
Want to become a foster caretaker to a dog in need? Join our FOSTER ROSTER to receive suggestions of great dogs for your home, including exclusive opportunities not listed anywhere else!
Why foster? Fostering can make a world of difference to a shelter dog. Taking a scared, anxious, hyperactive, or depressed dog out of a shelter environment can change him/her completely; foster homes help the animal realize that there is beauty and joy in life! The dog will be a better version of him/ herself for that time when a potential adopter comes around. It’s also a wonderful thing for the person involved: exercise, socialize with new people, have a constant companion, and of course feel great about doing a wonderful thing.
There are so many homeless dogs out there, and it can be helpful to get the “inside scoop” about dogs that would be great for you! With over 1,000 applicants, this list is an invaluable resource for us, in order to help rescue groups in need. Your information will not be shared with a third party without your consent.
(For Future Foster Parents) About the Process:
- Sign up to add yourself to our Foster Roster, and we will contact you if a great potential foster dog for you becomes available! (Note: we will only provide your completed application to a rescue group if you express interest in their dog; we will not share your information otherwise)
- Once you begin communication with the rescue group responsible for a specific dog (a third party), we are here for questions/comments/suggestions, but it becomes the responsibility of the rescue group to continue the conversation and to review your application.
- FYI: The Foster Roster is not a “Common Application,” and might not be accepted at every rescue group (due to each group’s contracts and legal responsibilities). You may be required to complete a foster application when you apply to care for a dog.
- You can ask to be removed from the Foster Roster at any time.
- When you receive an email with a foster opportunity, we ask that you have an open mind and open heart! It’s not always easy, but it’s pretty great.
- Once you begin fostering, request to join our Foster Forum on Facebook to seek advice from other experienced foster caretakers around NYC. We are here to support you as much as possible, and want you to know you are not alone — and no question is too simple or obvious!
- LET US KNOW how things go with the rescue group, and please send us a foster photo!
- Note: Foster Dogs is comprised of volunteers who help create the bridge between people who want to help dogs, with dogs who need homes! This Foster Roster helps us connect willing foster homes with rescue groups in need. While we do our best to track the progress of all dogs listed our site, we do not handle the foster / adoption approval process, as that is the duty of the rescue group or shelter.
- LINK: http://fosterdogsnyc.com/get-started/application-foster-roster/
(For Rescue Groups): About the Process:
- Email us to let us know you’re interested in becoming a Participating Organization! Then, we get back to you with the go-ahead. Our Foster Roster database, started in June 2013, has over 1,500 applicants in the New York City area alone (as of July 2016). The applicants and their content is updated on a regular basis.
- Nonprofit rescue organizations may submit 1-2 dogs weekly to the website, if you are not in need of our Foster Roster outreach efforts.
- We accept groups of 3-10 dogs per Foster Roster outreach effort, and we will reach out to appropriate potential foster homes on our database.
- Send us the following info PER dog (no more than one outreach request email per week, please — we are humble volunteers!). Keep it brief, like a personals ad in the paper:
- Dog’s photo
- Name, age, weight
- Good with dogs and/or cats?
- Neutered/Spayed? Special needs? Housetrained? Crate trained?
- Current location (Is transportation provided to the foster home?)
- Foster start date, and minimum foster commitment requested (typically a 2-4 week commitment)
- Once we receive your email with dogs in need, we will let you know how soon we can reach out. We’ll then begin our outreach.
- If someone is interested in a dog, they will respond to the email and CC the rescuer. We will follow up to that email with their completed Foster Roster application, for you to review. We ask that participating rescue organizations review the Foster Roster app prior to asking the interested party to complete their own application. If the party is potentially approved, the rescuer may then ask the interested party to complete the rescue group’s individual application. While the Foster Roster is not an official “Common Application,” we hope it will help prevent repetitive efforts and will streamline the foster approval process.
- After the rescuer and potential foster caretaker are in touch, Foster Dogs steps back… and lets the magic happen. Please keep us in the loop if a successful foster match is made.
- Note: Foster Dogs is solely run by volunteers. We do not perform home visits for applicants, as it is the responsibility of the rescue group to check the information on the applicant’s completed Foster Roster.